I’ve recently scooped up a couple of magazines / books that have really captured my attention – I thought I would share. It’s so hard not to tear these up for my inspiration wall. I think it’s best to keep them in tact right? Fight the urge Emma, fight the urge!
001. Tidal just released their Spring/Summer — Issue 01. The editor in chief, Anna Wolf, is one of my all time fav photographers – I heard about the project a few months back and have been so anxious to see how it all came together for her. Big surprise! It’s awesome. She teamed up with her trés creative husband, Mike Perry, alongside a handful of other very talented folks – Lisa Butterworth and Kayla Kern to name a couple. The biannual magazine focuses on fashion, lifestyle, and culture, mixing New York sensibilities with a laid-back So-Cal vibe!
002. Mood is a quarterly magazine about music and food. Issue 5 embraces summer the best way MOOD knows how: with lots of drinks! “You’ll find drinking games, a night on the hunt for the right cocktail and a recipe for a delicious Calypso-inspired cocktail. It’s also about barbecuing, going to the beach, taking a vacation (to San Francisco perhaps) and staying caffeinated so we can spend those extra hours of light, wide awake!”
003. Spaces – Volume Two ( by Frankie ) is a collection of homes and homes-away-from-home around Australia: From the east coast capitals to the southernmost tip of western Australia. This beautiful book focuses on resourcefulness and individual style – it celebrates the importance of home to a creative bunch of australians!
004. I’ve been a fan of Anthology for a while – it’s always been clear that this magazine rocks! There were so many stories in this particular issue ( 15 ) that really resonated with me. They wrote about where I’m considering getting married, about a town that I really want to live in, and about one of the first creatives I met upon moving to the bay. It was as if they said hey: Lets make this issue for Emma. Keep up the good work ladies, because I’m coming back for more!
Hope you guys are having a killer week! Turns out vacation is awesome and it’s hard coming back to real life? Who would have guessed!? There were two things I loved most about being in Dream-Land-Mexico and away from my normal routine. 01 – I wasn’t sitting down in a chair all day. I was on my feet, running around, moving…!! My body was almost instantaneously happier. If only I could design a logo while exploring? 02. My head was so much more clear. I’m pretty ocd so when it’s time to work ( which is basically all the time ) my brain is on hyper-active / list-making / goal-achieving / self-improving / etc etc mode… I’ve only been back for a few days and I’m already exhausted again. Come on life…?? Mexico, where you at?
…some favs that helped get me back into the groove this morning!
01. Melissa Sonico – CA based writer
02. Stacy Longenecker – Founder of LEIF
03. Liz Gardner – Design Director for Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine
04. Justina Blakeney – Los Angeles based Designer, Author, and Mama
Three things that have made me happy as of late:
01. I recently wrapped up a branding project with one of the coolest shops around, Oakland Surf Club! We created a mark for the “mini” addition to their shop. They have an adorable display that houses tiny clothing for tiny people, aka: kiddos! All of the printed collateral is making it’s way into their hands so I stopped by to check it out, starting with these tiny little stickers. Ohhh so fun!
02. Every once in a while, when I am alone at my studio, I will go check out my mates corners to see what they are working on. They never fail to have all sorts of eye candy laying around for me to drool over. This week, it’s Cortney’s wall & her purple mini zines. Yum.
03. Oh and I got a new rug! I can’t decide if it will stay on the floor or be hung on the wall. You can hang rugs right? Either way, I sense a new addiction starting.
I noticed a pattern within my pins so I decided to exploit it a little bit today – plants!!! I’m finding that the longer I live in California, the more my love for them grows – and grows and grows… I plan to take a walk around my neighborhood soon to photograph my favorite yard landscapes and wild growths. This Oakland stroll left me craving more.
I also messed around with Colour Lovers for a bit this morning. I want to start being more intentional about saving palettes that get a reaction out of me. There is something very powerful about a really strong color combination. For me, things always seems to be a bit more harmonious and peaceful.
+ All images can be found on my Pinterest
I recently teamed up with Maggie Pate, the designer behind Inks + Thread, to play out a creative personal challenge! She sent me a handful of her pieces and let me run wild with them – literally :) My goal was to capture images that would exude the same feelings her beautiful scarves produce.
Maggie’s work in patterns and textiles is a “cross-section that explores the synthesis of textures, repetition, and geometry.” She believes that these things “carry mood and transcend feeling.” Working primarily with silk, cotton, and chiffon – the lightness of all her pieces is inevitable. They’re just dreamy you guys, dreamy. It wasn’t hard to draw inspiration from them.
01. Elizabeth Suzann Artist Smock | 02. Inks + Thread Scarves | 03. The Samantha Pleet Arc Boot
Ashley Batz and I decided to run around Berkeley. We strolled up and down one of my favorite streets past one of my favorite houses! The homes over there are just magical. They are tiny, colorful, and surrounded by beautiful plants – the perfect backdrop for this little “assignment”. I’ve been taking more walks lately, exploring different areas – each one makes me fall more and more in love with California… How can a 10 minute walk around the block be so inspiring?
Taking a break from my super non-productive morning …looking at all these pretty ladies and what they have going on is providing a major surge of inspiration! Not only do I feel energized creatively to work hard and achieve rad things but I also want to throw on a cute hat and go look at all the pretty flowers and cactus in my neighborhood, ha.
01. Faithlord – Photographer & Stylist
02. What KT Does – Brooklyn based Illustrator & Painter
03. Martina Thornhill – Ceramic Artist
04. Caramelas Vintage – Vintage Boutique Owner
Raise your hand if you’re excited for summer?? I spent this past Sunday at the Alameda Flea Market getting a major sunburn ( …and sadly, I kind of loved it ) Being from Texas, I enjoy nothing more than feeling the hot hot sun on my skin – warm days feel like home! That being said, I’m super stoked to kick off summer with my friends over at BC Footwear. They are hosting the #BCSummerRoadTrip, where they will be “visiting” 8 bloggers in 8 different cities across the country. It started with Cali Vintage in Los Angeles and Chelsea Lane in Minneapolis – I’m up next, representing the Bay Area!
I decided to rock the Every Night sandal for a morning in Oakland. I grabbed some iced coffee at Subrosa, the tiniest coffee shop around, then ran over to Temescal Alley – a super cool spot a couple blocks from my apartment. This is definitely a must-stop area, it has so many unique shops packed into one little block.
A Few Oakland Favs –
Esqueleto: A rotating assortment of artists, objects and jewelry in a desert-like shop – I want just about everything in here. Crimson: Looking for some horticultural rarities? You’ve found the place – I stocked up on air plants and candles during my last visit. Donut Dolly: Need a sugar-fed energy boost? Why not get some donut holes stuffed with filling? Book/Shop: A light filled, meticulously curated, incredibly inspiring book shop. I could sit in here for hours. And last but not least, my new favorite, The Homestead Apothecary: This is where I get my sleepy time tea and remind myself to take a deep breath every once in a while.
Around The Corner –
Bakesale Betty’s: The best fried chicken sandwich you will ever eat. The line is consistently around the block, every single day! Pizzaiolo: Insane food with a cozy atmosphere. Dona Tomas: Modern Mexican with killer margaritas! I’m obsessed with their logo and even more obsessed with their back patio area ( …do you like bocce ball? )
What I’m Wearing –
Levis Jeans | BC Sandals | Steven Alan Purse | CAMP jacket | Vintage tank | Lookmatic Shades
>> A now for the most amazing GIVEAWAY ever!!
One lucky winner will receive 6 pairs of BC shoes ( yes – you heard me, SIX ) – alongside a super fun Summer Survival Kit. Hint Hint: You can enter with all 8 bloggers to increase your chances of winning. To enter with me: Leave a comment below mentioning which pairs you have your eye on. Also, follow BC Footwear either on Facebook or Twitter. Wishing you lots of luck! ( you have until June 11th to enter with me and you must be a US resident to win )
→ Photos by Ashley Batz
I’m so excited to be apart of this new video that was created for Los Angeles based shop, Individual Medley. They teamed up with my favorite video-super-star, Wade Koch of Sharkpig, to create what I like to consider, a mini-anthem for all of the makers that they carry in their shop.
This video makes me so happy, as Individual Medley was a little safe-haven for me during my time in Los Angeles! Monica and her husband are probably two of the kindest people I have ever met. I would consistently pop in for a chat because they always left me feeling uplifted. I also truly enjoyed seeing the products and makers that they would invest in carrying. A lot of the creatives in this video are friends – it makes me so happy to see everyone thriving, succeeding, and growing.
Oh, also – Sharkpig has the sickest studio ever – I mean, who has a secret entrance to their office! See that bookshelf-door below? Really!!? It’s a great representation of their work and all of their personalities, there is no denying that! Check it out in it’s entirety here!
…some magazines & books I am currently flipping through! I have found this little shop in Oakland called Issues – it has changed my world** My bookshelves are most definitely going to grow due to their killer selection.
Have you guys heard about Sophia Amoruso’s new book, #Girlboss! I’m all about diving into other people’s life-stories – it’s such an encouraging type of insight. It leaves me feeling like there are an infinite amount of paths to travel down – like my life could change directions drastically at any moment. It’s so easy to get stuck in YOUR day to day stuff and forget that we are essentially FREE to move about :) Ohh I love it.
“If you’re not getting what you want, stop for a second: Have you actually flat-out asked for it? If you haven’t, stop complaining. You can’t expect the world to read your mind. You have to put it out there, and sometimes putting it out there is as simple as just saying, “Hey, can I have that?”
- Sophia Amoruso
Human Being Journal Issue 4 –
It’s always a pleasure to get treats from Need Supply on my doorstep. Issue 4 Human Being Journal is stocked full of bees, posters, happy cities, seagulls, deer masks, and more! Also, their “Best Coast” lookbook is too good – it has left me craving warm summer days!
Rookie Yearbook Two –
Rookie is an online publication for teenage girls featuring writing, photography, illustrations, videos, and more! I know I’m not a teenager but come on, the content is amazing! The Yearbook is a fat 350 pages of glitter, unicorns, sun, kissing, candy… What else could you ask for?
I told you I have Mexico on the mind – I can’t stop day-dreaming about margaritas, bright colors, hammocks, oh my… Let the count down begin – 3 months…. 3 months until lots-o-lounging and a much needed break + How great is that cactus bag?? Bravo Amelie!
01 Eva Kolenko – Bay Area photographer & friend :)
02 Ascot & Hart – Get your shop on!
03 Jen Gotch – Founder & Creative Director of ban.do <3
04 Amelie Mancini – Printing, sewing, & wood-working
Eat it up – they rock!!
See more here :)
01. Happy Mundane – Art Director & Blogger
02. Brooks Sterling – Designer, Photographer, and Marketing Expert
03. Brookandlyn – Creative studio of Mimi Jung and Brian Hurewitz
04. Emily Katz – Purveyor of Dreams as Reality :)
Spent the morning diving into other people’s accounts that truly inspire me! I thought I’d share a few of them :) I love realizing how different all of our lives are from day to day – down to what we put into our bodies to how we recharge in the evenings + It inspires me to question how I do things and if change would be good?
01. Taylor Hoff – A San Fran based Visual Merchandiser at Apple, Inc.
02. Mija – A Munich based Art Director & Blogger
03. Bettan Belen – A Stockholm based Yoga Instructor & Stylist
04. Hannahmas – Ever heard of The General Store ?